Akamai Internship Placement Sites
When applicants are selected to participate in Akamai they are placed at an organization, with a specific mentor and project. Akamai carefully makes this match based on the applicant’s interests, existing skill set and location preferences. Below is a list of some of the places where Akamai interns have completed their internship in the past, and possibilities for future placements.
Click to see the full list of Akamai alumni and past projects.
Click to see example projects,
by field and interests.
Click to see a summary of the program experience.
Possible internship sites, by island and industry.
Maunakea observatories: Interns work either at the observatory base facility or summit, or a combination, depending on the project.
- W. M. Keck Observatory (base facility in Waimea)
- Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope- CFHT (base facility in Waimea)
- Gemini North Telescope (base facility in Hilo)
- Subaru Telescope (base facility in Hilo)
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory – SAO (base facility in Hilo)
- Academia Sinica Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics- ASIAA (base facility in Hilo)
- Institute for Astronomy (base facility in Hilo)
- Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority (Kona)
- Cyanotech (Kona)
- Liquid Robotics (Kawaihae)
- Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems- PISCES (Hilo)
- Hawaii Electric Light Company (Hilo)
- UH Hilo Department of Astronomy & Physics (Hilo)
Haleakala observatories: Interns work either at the observatory base facility or summit, or a combination, depending on the project.
- Daniel K Inouye Solar Telescope (base facility in Pukalani)
- Air Force Maui Optical and Supercomputing Site* (base facility in Kihei)
- Institute for Astronomy (base facility in Pukalani)
- Boeing* (Kihei)
- Centauri/Pacific Defense Systems* (Kihei)
- Maui High Performance Computing Center* (Kihei)
- Pacific Disaster Center (Kihei)
- Akimeka LLC (Kihei)
- Hnu Photonics (Wailuku)
Hawaii telescope partners in California:
- University of California Observatories instrument shop and Laboratory for Adaptive Optics (Santa Cruz)
- Thirty Meter Telescope (Pasadena)
* Site requires intern to be a U.S. citizen.
Click to return to the main Akamai internship page.