AKAMAI INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Akamai Internship Program offers college students from Hawai‘i an opportunity to gain a summer work experience at an observatory, company or scientific/technical facility in Hawai‘i in an 8-week program. The program has placements for students from community colleges and four-year universities from a wide range of STEM majors.
Akamai 2022 application coming soon
Akamai interns working at the Maunakea summit
Akamai has provided 428 students internships in Hawaii since 2003. The program has helped more than 250 get STEM jobs–many in Hawaii–earning Akamai the highest U.S. award for STEM mentoring. Years of experience and large network of STEM employers who host interns make Akamai a valuable and rewarding internship experience. The 8-week program includes:
- Stipend of $3300
- Housing provided if needed
- Travel from home island to internship site paid by program
- 1-week preparatory course + 7-week project
Unique aspects of the program:
- Placements with Hawaii’s telescopes – Akamai has placements at all the major telescopes in Hawaii.
- Outstanding mentors and staff – Mentors are trained through a workshop and accomplished Akamai team support intern success.
- Authentic work experience – Interns work on projects of value to the partner organization and gain real-world job skills in the process.
- Nationally recognized program with long history – Akamai has been running for 19 years and has 428 alumni, to date.
- Akamai is a community, and doesn’t stop at the end of the summer – Alumni have opportunities beyond the internship, including connections to employers and career related workshops.
- Akamai alumni get jobs – More than 250 alumni are now in jobs in Hawaii and beyond.
Learn more about what interns do and where they are placed:
- How Akamai interns benefit from the program
- Example projects by major
- Sites where interns are placed
- All past Akamai projects by year
Additional helpful information:
- Program description
- Eligibility and frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Example questions for reference writers
- Example application questions for candidates
2022 Program Dates: mid- June – Aug 5, 2022. Specific dates TBD.
See the calendar page for more detailed information.
- November 2021 – application opens
- March 2021- application deadline (review and selection underway)
- March-April – placement offers sent
- June 2022 – program begins
- August 5 2022 – program ends
2022 program flier coming soon.
Let us know if you’d like to meet via zoom. We are very happy to answer questions about the Akamai program or the application, or just get a chance to meet you! (Note: you may need to download the Zoom application).
Simply send us an email (email@example.com) to set up a time.
Akamai is led by ISEE, located at the University of California Santa Cruz.
Click to receive program announcements by joining our emailing list.
Prior year program information.